The mission of District 2 Early Childhood Program is to build a collaborative partnership with the families we service to instill lifelong learning for themselves and their children.
The purpose of District 2’s Early Childhood Program is to:
- Assist families in understanding how to provide basic needs to their children;
- Provide safe, nurturing, and stimulating environments for children and their families so that they will develop and thrive;
- Develop a child’s sense of self, interaction with others, and social cooperation;
- Encourage experimentation, exploration, risk-taking, and pursuing individual interests;
- Establish the importance of the home-school family connection by demonstrating and modeling how the parent is the child’s first teacher;
- Challenge children’s complex intellectual capabilities.
The Early Childhood Team provides play-based assessment screenings throughout the year. Those children who demonstrate possible developmental delays will have the opportunity to become part of District 2’s Early Childhood Program. Children entering the program must be between 3 and 5 years old.
We offer morning and afternoon sessions, Monday through Friday and follow the school district calendar. Each session begins with a required 15-minute parent and child literacy time. The program is held at Tioga School.
Screenings for the program are held in August, September, February and May each year. For screening information, call the Tioga School at 630-766-2602.