Our decision to cancel school for the next few weeks came together very quickly. We have been operating with guidance from the DuPage County Regional Office of Education and the experts at the DuPage County Health Department (their information related to COVID-19 can be found here). They have been explaining to us the CDC guidelines for COVID-19, and how they work to keep us safe.
The strategy across our community and the state is social distancing. We ask that you take the following actions based on recommendations by the CDC and the DuPage County Health Department:
- Avoid gathering in public places - especially in close proximity to others.
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick.
- Try to keep 6-10 feet between yourself and others - give yourself space.
- Be at home as much as possible.
- Try to limit who you and your children interact with to the same people you typically are around.
- Students and families should not:
- Gather in large groups - this is a time to be close with those who are closest to you.
- Visit each other’s homes or having sleepovers.
- Share food or drink.
- Compete in team sporting activities - use this time to train individually or with someone in the home.
- Students and families should:
- Avoid excessive media coverage of COVID-19.
- Take care of their bodies. Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep.
- Make time to unwind and remind yourself that strong feelings will fade. Try to do some other activities you enjoy to return to your normal life.
- Spend time outside - fresh air and exercise is one of the best things you can do over the next few weeks.
- Connect with others. Share your concerns and how you are feeling with friends or family members. Maintain healthy relationships.
- Use your technology and social media for good purposes - support one another and show that you care for one another.
- Maintain a sense of hope and positive thinking.
Keep following the practice of washing your hands regularly and covering your cough or sneeze.
Symptoms of coronavirus are:
- Shortness of breath
- Highly contagious
- Symptoms are often mild, but can result in pneumonia
For more information
For more information on the coronavirus, please consult the following online resources.