Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
in order to provide the most effective education for ALL children, we believe we must start by providing effective instruction for EACH child. To meet this goal, Bensenville School District 2 adopted a three-tier approach to instruction.
Multi-Tiered System of Supports is a framework for integrating levels (or tiers) of academic, behavior, and social emotional support to promote the success of all students. MTSS is not a special program, class, or particular intervention, but rather a way of organizing instruction and intervention to help all students and promote early identification of students needing additional support.
- High-quality, research-based instruction in the general education setting
- Universal screening to identify students needing supplemental support
- Multiple tiers of instruction that are progressively more intense, based on the the student’s response to instruction
- Evidence-based interventions matched to student need
- Ongoing progress monitoring of student performance
What are tiered supports?
- Tier 1 – All students receive high quality, core academic, behavior, and social emotional instruction and supports which includes differentiation of content, instructional strategies and/or materials
- Tier II – Students needing additional support receive more focused, targeted small group instruction/intervention and supports in addition to Tier 1
- Tier III – Students in Tier 3 receive the most intense instruction based on individual needs in addition to the core and supplemental academic, behavior, and social emotional curriculum, instruction, and supports.